- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced*
- 2 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (plain diced tomatoes also work)
- 4 cups cooked black beans (or 2 [15-ounce cans] black beans, drained)
- 1/2 cup orange juice (I use fresh-squeezed from about 2 medium naval oranges)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups diced ripe mango (from about 2 large mangoes)
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges (for squeezing over the top of individual servings)
- Diced avocado
- Sliced scallions
- Chopped mango
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Add all ingredients except the mangoes and additional salt and pepper to a 3-quart or larger Crock Pot. Stir gently to combine. Cook on low for 8-10 hours (or on high for 4-6 hours). Stir in the mango, cover, and cook for another 10 minutes or so – just enough to warm the mangoes. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Scoop into large bowls and top individual servings with an assortment of toppings, if you like.
* Because jalapeno peppers vary so much heat-wise, I like to taste it to see how hot it is before deciding how much to put in. If it’s mild, I’ll add some seeds along with the flesh. If it’s already pretty hot, I’ll discard the seeds and use only the flesh.
Top with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt and shredded Jack cheese.